Diabetes – Similar Pathology to Many Other Autoimmune Diseases
· Insulin replacement, the only option in T1D and for many T2D, saves lives, but does not render people without risk of complications
· Both T1D and Insulin Dependent T2D are addressed by many of the same regenerative targets, growing the market by 4-5 times
· T1D is characterized by an inability to control blood sugar due to the loss of insulin secreting cells (beta- cells) driven by an autoimmune process
· Improved understanding of the pathology of T1D enables earlier diagnosis, identification of at-risk scenarios and provides the potential for prevention and treatment to preserve, regenerate or replace beta-cells
· Autoimmune diseases such as Celiac Disease, Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD), Multiple Sclerosis (MS), Rheumatoid arthritis (RA) etc. have similar pathology and increase the size of the target market
Diabetes/Autoimmune Diseases Summary
Diabetes and autoimmune diseases are global pandemics with severe medical and financial consequences. The market is so extensive that nearly every novel agent that receives regulatory approval is likely to capture market share, even those that are not significantly differentiated from agents already on the market.
Altucell believes that the true path to eradication of this horrible disease is to alter the immune system, which itself has turned on, and has caused damage to specific cell types of pancreatic islets cluster of cells that produce insulin and other metabolic hormones.
Altucell’s approach is to reverse diabetes through a minimally invasive transplant procedure using our patented technologies, which overcomes the major barriers to transplantation by a novel strategy made of micro-encapsulated Sertoli cells for non-immunosuppressed patients with type 1 and type II diabetes.
Altucell’s patented encapsulation technologies have broad application to numerous other autoimmune and neurodegenerative diseases beyond diabetes, representing an enormous opportunity.